Destiny 2 has entered a phase where they don’t want to tell us anything about upcoming content until launch day, which I would consider a lackluster marketing strategy, but hey, Bungie can do whatever it wants.
Over the past week, we’ve been told that we won’t hear anything significant about Season 18 until its launch day, August 23, where there will be a big Destiny showcase that will also focus on Lightfall, next year’s extension. We’ve also been told that we won’t hear which Destiny 1 raid returns until that day either, even if it doesn’t launch until three days later. It seems likely that we won’t learn the details of Arc 3.0 until it’s live in-game either, which happened with Solar 3.0.
Why? Why is this such a mystery? Like I said in a video I made yesterday, I think it’s not the same category of silence as Bungie taking a step back from social media due to recent threats because it’s is more of a marketing decision. And one idea is that all of these things are tied together in a way where if you reveal one, you’ll actually reveal them all, which is why they’re all bundled together and launched at the same time.
So you want a big theory? Here’s a great theory. I’m not saying that I’m necessarily to believe This theory, but it is an explanation. There are several rooms here:
1. Destiny players have been asking for a SIVA season for many, many years now, given that they enjoyed both the Rise of Iron storyline and Warmind was a well-received first DLC D2.
2. Over the years I’ve seen Bungie specifically say that they’ve absorbed feedback about the community’s desire to return to SIVA, though so far that’s only manifested in some exotic adornments and the return of Outbreak Prime itself.
3. While Rasputin was a major part of the storyline in the seasons leading up to Beyond Light, it was “shut down” when the Darkness appeared. We know that Ana Bray abducted him from Mars in an Engram and is currently building a special exo body for him to try and restore him to some extent. More clues to know that he could return as “Archangel”.
4. The Witch Queen mocked a place called Nefele Stronghold, a secret human outpost that Rasputin hid from everyone.
So, SIVA and Rasputin are the great unifying force for everything that comes next:
- The theory would be that season 18 marks the return of Rasputin and the reintroduction of SIVA as a concept to some degree. The season could be about restoring his body as new threats from darkness loom and giving him back some of his power. We know he’s already helped stop the meltdown, and as a second meltdown looms, we may need him to do it again.
- The season 18 raid would therefore be Wrath of the Machine, the Rise of Iron raid based on SIVA. It’s the less obvious choice than King’s Fall, so that would be a surprise. Like Vault of Glass arrived during a Vex season, Wrath could arrive during a SIVA season. Nor is it entirely impossible that it could somehow be integrated into the story, even if Vault of Glass was not.
- Enter Lightfall, an expansion that everyone thinks will deal with the attacked traveler in a direct way, which again would require one of earth’s greatest defenders, Rasputin, to step in and help. Everybody too expects this expansion to introduce a fifth subclass, unlike The Witch Queen, and now all 3.0 subclasses will be complete. While the common theory has been the poison/decay subclass, we might also see the realization of another old theory, some sort of SIVA based class where I dunno, SIVA mixes with darkness energy to become a power the Guardians can control. We get a list of ARIA-based powers, and ARIA becomes a new damage type. Rather than filling the “green” poison slot, we instead get a start of the “red” element, which seems to be the likely other color theme if the ultimate goal is for Destiny to have three sub- light and three dark classes and damage types when all is said and done.
Guess I could even weave Arc 3.0 in there, since it might be part of the Season 18 story considering Rasputin is a machine and Arc is light-infused electricity, but since Solar 3.0 doesn’t had no story component, who knows.
Again, this could all be a massive swing and miss, which is why I’m not actually putting eggs in this basket. I’m just saying that might explain why nothing is teased and everything is taped for a specific reveal on August 23. Maybe it’s not all related, I don’t know, but it would make more sense if the answer was something like this. We will see.
Follow me on Twitter, Youtube, Facebook and instagram. Subscribe to my free weekly content newsletter, God rolls.
Pick up my sci-fi novels Herokiller Series and The Earthborn Trilogy.
#Big #Destiny #Season #Lightfall #Theory #Sense #Mystery