MANCHESTER UNITED print a cold 81-word farewell to Cristiano Ronaldo on their matchday program for the Burnley match with no mention in manager Erik ten Hag’s notes, with Gary Neville insisting the club was right to resolve the saga ahead of the World Cup.
Manchester United included an 81-word short message addressing Cristiano Ronaldo’s controversial exit from the club in their Carabao Cup clash with Burnley, although there was no mention of it in manager Erik ten Hag’s pre-match notes.
The veteran striker, 37, was released from his United contract on November 22 in a bitter and acrimonious exit from Old Trafford following his surprise encounter with Piers Morgan.
The Carabao Cup fourth round match against Burnley was United’s first competitive match since Ronaldo’s departure, with an SMS included in the tie-breaker.
Manchester United gave a short message about Cristiano Ronaldo’s exit from the programme
Ronaldo left Manchester United last month after his controversial interview
“Cristiano Ronaldo left the club by mutual agreement last month,” the letter read.
The Portuguese star scored 145 goals in two periods and 436 appearances, helping us win three Premier League titles, an FA Cup, two League Cups, the Champions League and the Club World Cup. Ronaldo also won the Ballon d’Or in 2008.
In a statement released on November 22, the club registered its gratitude for Cristiano’s enormous contribution and wished him and his family well for the future.
Ronaldo’s controversial interview included the claim that he felt betrayed by the club and had no respect for United manager Ten Hag.
The Ten Hag notes did not mention Ronaldo’s departure from the club
The Dutchman responded to Ronaldo’s comments earlier this month, suggesting the striker had in fact stabbed him in the back by waiting for the interview to be released before revealing for the first time that he wanted to quit Old Trafford.
Ten Hag’s pre-match notes made no mention of Ronaldo and his departure from the club.
Speaking on Sky Sports, Gary Neville insists United were right to act quickly to resolve the situation ahead of the World Cup, allowing the club to move forward under ten Hag.
“They couldn’t let the situation come to this side of the World Cup,” Neville said. They needed to put him to bed and they dealt with him very quickly.
I think it was best for all parties.
It’s sad that it ended that way, but it was inevitable. I hope he continues to play football elsewhere and does really well and Manchester United can move on under Ten Hag.
Gary Neville claimed Manchester United were right to quickly resolve Ronaldo’s situation
Former Burnley manager Sean Dyche praised Ten Hag’s handling of the “embarrassing situation”.
“Whatever Ronaldo’s own reasons for doing this, it just wasn’t going well for him,” Daichi said. “I think that is in the best interest of the manager.
“The manager was calm and didn’t make a big deal about it, although it was a big deal. It veered right or wrong, but the timing helped.
“I think in general it was a very embarrassing thing for the coach and he handled it really well.”
Ronaldo made it clear that he wanted to leave United this summer after they failed to qualify for the Champions League, but there seemed to be no one to play in that competition, and he stayed in Manchester.
The 37-year-old lost his place in the United team before meeting the bombshell.
Coach Fernando Santos also excluded Ronaldo in the last World Cup in Qatar after his reaction to his substitution and left him crying with Portugal’s exit from the quarter-finals at the hands of Morocco.
#Manchester #United #bid #farewell #Cristiano #Ronaldo #words #program #tour