Second person dies after Brixton party crush

The security guard became the second person to die after a crowd at O2 Academy Brixton last week.

Gabby Hutchinson, 23, was a contract security provider at Thursday’s show by Nigerian Afrobeats singer-songwriter Asake.

Police were called to the scene in south London at around 9.35pm after reports that a large number of people were trying to force entry. They found a number of people with “crush wounds believed to have been caused”.

Rebecca Icomelo, 33, from Newham, east London, also died after the crash, and police said a 21-year-old woman was still in a critical condition. The three people were in the foyer of the 4,921-capacity venue.

Icomelo, a mother of two, was a nursing graduate and had been posting regularly on TikTok about raising an autistic child.

Ch Supt Colin Wingrove of the Metropolitan Police said on Monday: “It is horrific news that another person has lost his life following Thursday’s events.

“I would like to express my heartfelt condolences to Gabi’s family at this unimaginably difficult time.”

Investigators from the Met’s Specialized Crime Command are working on the investigation, which the force has described as large and complex. Officers review security cameras and phone footage, speak to witnesses, and conduct forensic examinations.

Police belts were removed outside, but the cordon remained in place inside the building while officers continued to check the premises.

When the crowd were told to leave, they were not given specific instructions on how to do so, said a witness who attended the parade, who asked not to be identified. “After people left, while people were leaving, they were still struggling to leave because of the huge stampede outside,” said the witness.

“The side doors were now opened, so I was able to get out through the side doors. Thank God I didn’t get involved. It wasn’t until about 15 or 20 minutes later that I saw the side doors were now open.

“I left and my ride was fine—I wasn’t aware of this whole thing until I saw it a few hours later—and it made sense to me. You just had more people heading towards the main exit, from multiple directions.”

An online page has been set up to provide photos, videos, and information, and the Met has asked anyone with such materials to use this facility. Mitt said there were about 4,000 potential witnesses present at the time of the accident.

The force has referred the Independent Office of Police Conduct, as is normal after incidents where police were present and members of the public died or were seriously injured.

Sadiq Khan said he was “devastated” by a second life that was so tragically lost after the horrific events on Thursday night in Brixton.

“On behalf of all Londoners, I would like to offer my deepest condolences to his family and loved ones at this very difficult time. Gabe, like Rebecca Icomelo, had his whole life ahead of him and had every right to go home safe and so soon after his work at Brixton Academy. My thoughts remain. With everyone affected by this terrible accident.”

The Mayor of London urged anyone with information to submit it through the online portal. He said: “City Hall are in close contact with the venue and authorities across London on working to ensure nothing like this happens again and I will not rest until we have the answers that all those affected by the Brixton tragedy need and deserve.”

In a statement, O2 Academy Brixton said: “Our heartfelt condolences are with the family and friends of Gabe Hutchinson. We remain devastated by this tragic situation and fully support the ongoing investigation.”

#person #dies #Brixton #party #crush

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *