The second person dies after being crushed at Brixton Academy


The second person, aged 23, died after being crushed at a concert at the O2 Academy Brixton on Thursday.

Gabby Hutchinson, who worked security at the event, was one of three people seriously injured when fans without tickets tried to enter a performance by Nigerian artist Asake at the South London venue on Thursday night.

Mitt confirmed that he died in the early hours of Monday morning.

Gabby’s death comes two days after Rebecca Icomelo, a 33-year-old mother of two from Newham who was also seriously injured in the stampede, died in hospital on Saturday.

Metropolitan Police Chief Superintendent Colin Wingrove described the news of another person’s death as “devastating”.

The scene outside the Brixton O2 Academy on Monday

/ AFP via Getty Images

“I would like to express my heartfelt condolences to Gabi’s family at this unimaginably difficult time,” he said.

The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, also expressed his condolences to his loved ones in a statement released Monday night, adding that City Hall is “working to ensure that nothing like this happens again.”

“Gabe Hutchinson’s death has shattered a second life that was so tragically lost after the horrific events that occurred Thursday night in Brixton,” he said.

“On behalf of all Londoners, I would like to offer my deepest condolences to his family and loved ones at this very difficult time.”

Rebecca Ecomelo

/ Palestinian Authority

Eight people were taken to hospital with serious injuries on Thursday and a 21-year-old woman remains in a critical condition after a crowd without tickets tried to get into the party, which drew about 4,000 people.

The Metropolitan Police said Rebecca, Gabi and the 21-year-old who was still fighting for her life were all in the foyer of the O2 Academy Brixton when the incident occurred.

Scotland Yard said on Monday that detectives from the Met’s Specialist Crime Command are “working diligently to establish what exactly happened on Thursday night”.

A large crowd gathered at the music venue on Thursday night

/ Palestinian Authority

“The investigation is large and complex,” said a spokesperson for the investigation. “Officers review closed-circuit television and phone footage, speak to witnesses, and conduct forensic examinations.”

Security cordons have been removed outside the venue, but the cordon remains in place inside the building as officers continue to check the premises.

The police set up a website to provide photos, videos and information.

The Met said: “There were approximately 4,000 potential witnesses present at the time of this incident and we urge any member of the public with information to come forward.”

Police officers were initially called to the old music venue at 9.04pm on Thursday after reports of a large crowd gathering outside. Another call was made at 9.35pm to report that people were trying to force entry into the venue.

The Met has made a referral to the Office of the Independent Police Oversight of Police Conduct.

A nursing graduate, Rebecca’s family described her as “a wonderful mother of two who loves working with children.” They said, “She was highly respected in the family for her care, kindness and love.”

Her parents call her Tosin (short for Oluwatosin) meaning “the Lord is worthy.”

Singer Asaki said he was “overwhelmed with grief” after Rebecca’s death, and that he had spoken with her family.

Rebecca Ecomelo

/ (family flyer / PA)

“My team and I are still awaiting a full debriefing from the scene management and police to determine exactly what led to all the commotion that ultimately caused Rebecca’s death,” he wrote on Instagram on Saturday.

Speaking on the night of the tragedy, one of the women told The Standard she fell into a crowd of people who rushed into the scene and was “kicked like a football”.

She told the Standard: “I was going to the concert and got squashed in the back. The crowd was crazy.

“I fell, they were stomping on my head. I couldn’t breathe.”

Florence Ishalomi, the Labor MP for Vauxhall, said in a statement posted on Twitter: “It is very clear that ticketing and security measures have not been implemented as they should have been for this incident to have occurred.

“We need answers about exactly how this happened and safeguards against it in the future.”

On Monday, the Mayor of London said the City Hall was in contact with venues and authorities “across London” to ensure “nothing like this happens again”.

Mr Khan said: “The urgent investigation into what happened is ongoing and I urge anyone with information or footage of the incident to provide this to the investigators via the public portal set up by the police.” You can also submit information and footage to the police anonymously via Crimestoppers online or by calling 0800-555-111.

“City Hall is in close contact with the venue and authorities across London on working to ensure nothing like this happens again and I will not rest until we have the answers that all those affected by the Brixton tragedy need and deserve.”

Asake, whose real name is Ahmet Olulide, was recently shortlisted for the BBC Radio 1 Sound of 2023 award – for UK Hit Artists.

Before the gig, he urged the crowd not to go to the stadium without a valid ticket.

The concert was the third of three sold-out dates at the 4,921-capacity venue and concluded a string of dates in the UK.

#person #dies #crushed #Brixton #Academy

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *